Birkenstock is a respected brand that has made its mark in the fashion world. Since its foundation, the brand has come a long way and is a leading comfort footwear favorite brand. Perhaps the extensive manufacturing process and the vast array of premium materials used are by far what makes Birkenstock stand out. The brand has mastered the art of quality and comfort when designing its shoes, making it the go-to option for sandal lovers.
Podiatrists recommend Birkenstock sandals because of the comfort and support they provide. Over the years, Birkenstock has birthed sub-brands to stretch its professionalism. Birkenstock Arizona, and Milano are among its sub-brands.
This article will provide you with info by comparing these two brands to highlight similarities and differences.
Table of Contents
Birkenstock Arizona vs Milano: Overview
The Arizona brand features a two-strap open-toe design. This sandal is its signature footwear. It was first designed in the 70s and has received minimal alterations since then. Birkenstock Arizona is made from synthetic material and gives you a classic appeal every time. They make its upper from Birko Flor and feature adjustable straps to enhance a lasting exterior and custom fit. Its contoured footbed molds to the shape of your foot to form a custom footbed that is super comfy and supportive. They also line its footbed with leather.
With its raised toe edge, it promotes the natural movement of your feet and toes, stimulating circulation. Its natural heel profile maintains the natural padding of your foot under the heel to allow even bodyweight distribution.
Its outsoles are flexible and lightweight and act as shock-absorbers for support and make the sandals durable. The dual-layer jute repels moisture, and the bottom strengthens the sandals.
For longevity, you should not air your Arizonas under direct sunlight. The sun may damage them.
The Milano features a signature trio of adjustable straps. Like in Arizona, Milano has two straps spanning across the top of the foot, with the third strap wrapped around the Achilles. Its ankle strap and compact design provide stability, custom fit, and maximum grip.
The Milano is available in subtle natural shades and is ideal for any event or situation.
It has a leather option that adds elegance and class to the brand’s line. Milanos are made from high-quality materials with undisputed craftsmanship. The upper part is made from oiled leather that is recognizable because of its untreated surface. For this brand, Birkenstock purposely doesn’t treat grained surfaces and other features. It uses strong leather with a thickness of about 3mm as the upper material.
It has a suede insole that’s lined with flexible leather that is soft under your feet. This lining allows your foot to adjust to its contour.
They have open pores, making a breathable surface that provides a comfortable foot climate, even for strenuous physical activity.
The footbed material is cork extracted from the cork oak and provides insulation and excellent cushioning. Its outsole is EVA made and makes the shoe lightweight. It provides sufficient cushioning for your feet. Milanos are stylish and are a pleasant companion when you travel.
Similarities of Birkenstock, Arizona and Milano
- They are both made in Germany.,
- They have adjustable straps and buckles for a secure fit.
- They have a contoured footbed that shapes your foot and creates a custom footbed.
- They have raised toe edges to foster natural movement and stimulate blood circulation as your legs exercise.
- With deep heel cups, they hold the natural padding in place under your heel.
- They both have EVA outsoles that are flexible, lightweight, and shock-absorbent.
- Both have dual-layer jute that keeps away moisture, and the bottom side adds strength to the shoes.
- They last longer, and you can repair or resole them to enjoy for a few more years.
- Both require air drying away from direct sunlight, as sunlight is Birkenstock’s number one enemy. It causes the sandals to wear out quickly. It is advisable to let your sandals dry completely before wearing them again.
- They offer various colors and styles for men and women.
Differences between Birkenstock Arizona and Milano
- Arizonas are more expensive than Milanos.
- In terms of weight, they only differ by one ounce. Milanos weigh 9 oz while Arizona weighs 8 oz.
- The upper part of Arizona is made from Birko flow, while Milano is made from oiled leather.
How to care for your Birkenstock Arizona and Milano
- Birkenstocks require regular maintenance for them to serve you for a long time. Clean your sandals with a damp cloth to wipe off any dirt.
- Use cornstarch for oil-based stains. Pour a tiny amount of cornstarch over the stain, give it a few hours to absorb, and rinse off with a dry cloth.
- Baking soda also comes in handy when washing the footbed. Make a paste with baking soda and water. Apply the paste on one shoe and work on it first. Cover the entire footbed with the paste, rub it using a toothbrush, rinse off with a damp cloth, and then work on the other shoe. If the result does not satisfy you, make the paste again, apply it on the footbed to cover it entirely, and leave it overnight. Rinse off in the morning with a damp cloth and savor the cleanliness and freshness of your once smudgy and sweaty footbeds.
- If your feet smell from wearing the sandals for too long, soak your feet in Epsom salt to combat the odor and prevent swelling.
Why Birkenstock is good for your feet
What makes Birkenstock legendary is the footbed design. The footbed details are intricately done, with every element being purposeful for the overall product. The footbed fosters good foot health and provides all-day comfort.
Deep heel cup
They design Birkenstocks with deep heel cups that hold and position your heel in place with a natural cushioning beneath your heel bone.
Longitudinal arch support
This arch support runs along the sides of the footbed and provides stability with each step.
Transverse arch support
The arch support is along the middle of the footbed to ensure proper alignment and solid support.
Raised toe edge
The raised toe bar fosters the natural grip motion of your feet while exercising your legs. It also stimulates circulation.
More toe space
A roomy toe box encourages your toes to move more naturally and promotes better balance and proper foot alignment.