Working in the retail sector is demanding as you have to spend most of your day on your feet or moving around. It is no wonder that it is not a job for the faint-hearted as you have to put in long work hours and deal with customers all day long. No customer is ever going to consider that you spent the previous hours dealing with hundreds of other people as they expect you to be smiling and full of energy.
While there are lots of techniques that you will learn as a retail worker on how to deal with customers, one thing you have to work on is ways to stay comfortable all day. A simple but highly effective solution that will assist you to have better days is investing in the right type of shoes. This is because with a suitable pair of shoes you are guaranteed to have all-day comfort and feet that will feel great after those long work hours.
Why you need retail work shoes
In every industry, there is a need to invest in the right attire that will complement your daily activities. Similarly, in the retail industry, you have to understand that your shoes are going to be your best companion. Since you will hardly have lazy hours or time to remove your shoes and deal with foot pain, you should always wear appropriate work shoes. Failure to do this, you will have lots of frustrations as you go about your duties and find your job unsatisfying.
Will it cost a lot to buy a good pair of shoes for my retail work?
Costs should be the least of your worries when you are thinking about a good pair of shoes that will serve you for years and keep you comfortable. However, this does not mean that you have to spend a lot to find the best shoes for retail workers. You will appreciate that most shoes that fit this category are fairly priced and come in a wide range of exciting styles and designs.
What are the Best Shoes For Workers?
It can be a little confusing settling for the best shoes as a retail worker as there are thousands of options in the market today. To save you from a trial and error kind of purchase we have created a list of shoes that have been highly rated and recommended by thousands of retail workers. Here are the best shoes to consider when you are out looking for an appropriate pair for retail work:
New Balance 626 Cross Training Work Slip Resistant Shoes
New Balance pushed the limits of functionality with these shoes that were designed with the hardworking man in mind. While they were built to be cross trainers, they have found a home in the retail sector given their excellent features. It is perfect for heavy use and can be worn every day if you are a retail worker since they provide supreme foot cushioning, support, and traction.
- It is made from superior leather that is tough and will last for years.
- It has an oil and slip-resistant outsole making it perfect for use in all surface conditions.
- It has a compression-molded midsole that allows it to absorb shock as you move around.
- It has an ABZORB foam lining construction that offers extra cushioning and support to your feet.
- It has a solid structure and non-marking outsole that makes them great for retail work.
- It is costly considering the brand name
- It only comes in black and grey colors
The New Balance 626 Cross Training Work Slip Resistant Shoes is a pair that you will love given its overall structure, durability, and levels of comfort. It is a versatile pair that is ideal if you spend a lot of time on your feet and will make your day a breeze.
Timberland PRO Titan 6 Safety-toe boots
Timberland has always been known for producing tough but comfortable boots, and the Pro Titan 6 is a true showcase of the brand’s power. This waterproof safety-toe boot offers all-day protection for retail workers with demanding duties. The leather boot has a great brownish color and has been designed to keep your foot and heel enclosed in a comfortable interior even as you go through those long shifts.
- It is made with soft leather that you will love putting on every day.
- It has a waterproof membrane to keep your feet dry at all times.
- It has Electrical hazard Protection making it perfect for workers in the electrical area.
- It has an alloy safety toe to protect your feet from hard objects.
- It has a Powerfit comfort system.
- It is a lightweight boot that is easy to walk in.
- The price is relatively high given the brand name
- It comes in a single design and color that some people consider old
Timberland’s PRO Titan 6 safety-toe boots provide the right levels of protection and great comfort for retail workers in demanding work environments. They are a superb pair of boots that can last for years if cared for appropriately.
Nike Revolution 4 Running Shoes
While the Nike Revolution 4 was designed with runners in mind, it provides retail workers with everything they need to be comfortable as they work. The fact that they are meant for exercise makes them great for walking around all day and this is enhanced with its breathable surface. They come in a range of colors and are a modern design that you will instantly love.
- They have a thick rubber sole that alleviates strain from the leg.
- They are lightweight and can be worn for hours without the slightest discomfort.
- They have a breathable fabric that keeps your feet cool
- They are stylish
- They are casual sneakers and cannot be worn in retail stores with strict uniform policies
- They are costly
The Nike Revolution 4 Running Shoes have given retail workers the versatility they need to do their duties as they get the comfort and support provided to professional athletes.
Dansko Women’s Professional Mule
Dansko has the back of all women in the retail sector who want to adhere to the uniform policies without sacrificing their comforts. Not only do these shoes look smart but they were designed to protect your feet. They are easily worn for hours, thanks to the soft leather surface and build that will make them your favorite work shoes.
- They are lightweight
- They are slip-on shoes that are easy to change into
- They have a solid grip so you never have to worry about them slipping as you are working
- They have a shock-absorption outsole that provides extra cushioning to your feet
- The soft leather surface makes them breathable allowing your feet to remain fresh
- They may feel tight for first-time users given their design
For women in the retail sector who want to look the part and have happy feet, Dansko Women’s Professional Mule is the footwear to consider. They are roomy and will not only be comfortable but easily complement your uniform policy.
Sketchers Men’s Equalizer Persistent Slip-on Sneaker
The primary reason why Sketchers are popular in the footwear industry is that they provide users with lightweight, breathable, and comfortable shoes. The men’s Equalizer persistent slip-on sneakers are one of the best creations by the company for retail workers after quality footwear. Their stylish design and subtle colors it comes in makes them an easy choice for anyone.
- They have a memory foam insole that provides your feet with a soft and comfortable landing
- They have a lightly patterned mesh at the front that allows your feet to breathe
- They are simple slip-on sneakers
- They have a very flexible traction outsole
- They do not provide great arch support
The Sketchers Men’s Equalizer persistent slip-on sneakers are a perfect option for retail workers who value comfort. They are an affordable option that will make your shifts better as they are easy to walk in.
Vans Unisex Old Skool Classic Skate Shoes
Ever since they were introduced to the market in 1977, the Old Skool Classic Skate Vans have gained global popularity. Today, these shoes provide retail workers with a fantastic solution for their work hours. These lightweight shoes were designed to provide skaters with a good grip, great comfort levels, and protection, the very features that retail workers will enjoy.
- They have great traction that allows them to have a good grip on most surfaces
- They are lightweight and easy to put on for long hours
- They are stylish and can be worn by anyone
- They are simple slip-ons
- They come in different exciting designs
- They do not last very long when worn every day
If you want to keep it simple and comfortable as a retail worker, then the Old Skool Classic Vans are options you cannot overlook. They are also affordable and you can go for several pairs as they come in a range of designs and colors.
Grasshoppers Women’s Windham Slip-On Flat
As a retail worker, you need shoes that are lightweight, breathable, and comfortable. These are the very qualities that define the Grasshoppers Women’s Windham Slip-On Flat. The simple design of these shoes is their winning edge as they make it easier to dress for work each day.
- They are made of a soft fabric that is meant to help prevent foot irritations
- They have a synthetic sole that provides great stability
- They have a removable and replaceable footbed that makes it easy for them to be used longer
- They have a memory foam lining that provides extra protection to your feet
- They are lightweight
- They have odor-controlling features
- They come in a minimal number of sizes
- They may run large after a period of continued use
Grasshoppers Women’s Windham Slip-On Flats are an appropriate pair for women retail workers after a casual but comfortable pair of shoes that will serve their daily needs.
Also Read: Best Shoes Skinny Legs
New Balance 990v4 Running Shoe
New Balance remains to be a mark of American craftsmanship as for the longest time it has continued to produce outstanding footwear. The 990v4 running shoes stay true to the brand’s supremacy as it gives retail workers a super mix of exceptional comfort, midfoot stability, and durability. It is a premium collection that comes in male and female versions all with features that enhances their functionality.
- They contain the ENCAP midsole technology that offers excellent support to the feet.
- They have a dual-density collar foam that supports pain-free movements
- They have a breathable mesh at the top that keeps the foot cool
- They are of high quality and long-lasting
- They are a little heavyweight
- They can be a little narrow for those with wider feet
The New Balance 990v4 is a comfortable work shoe that offers retail workers the exceptional quality of trainer/running shoes. They are suitable for workers who do not necessarily have to stand for too long hours such as cashiers but are after reliable and quality shoes.
Nike Air Zoom Vomero 14
These running shoes have a springy step that is meant to propel athletes through the miles. For retail workers this makes it easier to walk around the store, a feature enhanced by its durable traction pattern. It also has a combination of a soft and firm sole plus a stylish design giving it a uniquely comfortable feel.
- It is an ultra-responsive shoe that makes walking and running easier
- It uses Nike React technology to provide users with a smooth and comfortable feel
- It has a mixture of Flywire cables and soft foam in the midfoot for extra support and cushioning
- It has a mesh upper part that helps keep your foot cool
- It has a comfort collar to support the ankle making it suitable for retail workers with foot injuries
- It does not provide the desired level of comfort for people with a higher arch
- The toe box tends to be tight and short
Nike Air Zoom Vomero 14 might be running shoes, but for taller retail workers it is the footwear that will ensure they have a plush, cushioned pair for those long work hours. They are easy to wear and they make walking easier as they provide smooth transitions.
ECCO Men’s New Jersey Slip-On Loafer
ECCO has provided a sleek pair of loafers that men who work in retail stores will appreciate. These shoes are meant to enable users to look professional while enjoying the comforts of casual shoes. They easily complement most outfits for retail stores with a uniform policy and are made of high-quality leather that will last.
- It has a roomy toe box unlike most loafers
- It has long-lasting outsoles with a good grip
- It has a moisture absorbent lining to keep your feet dry
- It offers good comfort and is lightweight
- They come in a limited range of colors (black and cocoa brown)
- They do not provide great arch support
ECCO Men’s New Jersey Slip-On Loafer is a suitable pair of work shoes for retail workers who want to look professional and adhere to their uniform policy while feeling comfortable all day long.
Factors to consider when choosing the Best Shoes for Retail workers
As a retail worker, you should never blindly choose your work shoes as settling for the wrong type will make your day burdensome. You need to go for shoes that can support you through those demanding and long shifts. To find the best pair you need to take into account the following:
Your comfort should be the top-most priority when you are shopping for shoes as a retail worker. Always have in mind the nature of your activities and remember it is never pleasant dealing with foot pain or discomforts every day. To avoid this, make it a priority to go for the most comfortable shoes you can find.
The comfort of shoes is primarily determined by its cushioning features, overall design, and type of outsole. Always concentrate on these features as they dictate how comfortable that pair of shoes will be, even after an extended period of use. If you are unsure then check out reviews from past users and use this to judge the experience to expect.
You need breathable shoes as a retail worker, regardless of whether you have sweaty feet or not. This is because after being on your feet for hours it is only natural that they will need extra space to ‘breathe.’ This is why most shoes that are loved by retail workers have a mesh or net upper surface, special fabric, or soft leather.
The upper material of your shoes also determines the feeling you get as you walk around. You generally need a pair that will provide a soft feeling even when you step on a hard surface or wear them for long hours.
Imagine slipping and falling as you go about your duties, especially in front of your customers. Well, this is exactly what will happen if you do not take into account the traction or grip of the shoes you buy. To know whether those attractive shoes have good traction you need to consider the following features; pattern on the outsole, midsole quality, lining, and waterproof quality.
To be on the safe side it is best to go for slip-resistant shoes as they provide better traction support and will protect you from injuries. You should also regularly check the wear and tear of your soles to avoid going to work with a pair that lacks the desired grip.
This refers to how well a pair of shoes will hold your feet as you move around. These factors in general foot support, heel support, arch support, and ankle support. You need to go for shoes that will provide all-round support to you so that nothing affects your feet as you work.
It is very easy to know whether a shoe provides these features as every brand that has factored them in will always make it known. This is largely a design and structure question of the shoes you go for.
This cannot be emphasized enough as it does not matter how good a pair of shoes is if it does not fit you perfectly. Most foot injuries caused by shoes are mainly because the wearer opted for a pair that is either too small or too large. To avoid making similar mistakes, always know your shoe size, and do not make any compromise when making that purchase.
Finally, you need to consider the weight of your shoes as you do not want to walk for hours in a heavy pair. Lightweight shoes are always the answer for retail store workers as they enhance your mobility and keep your feet extra comfortable. The design of a shoe and its materials are what largely dictates whether it will be lightweight or not.
Light upper material and a rubber outsole are, in many instances, the perfect match for you as a retailer. Still, there are other designs and materials that different companies have used and managed to create extremely lightweight shoes. So before you purchase those shoes, ask yourself; will it feel heavy on your feet after a couple of hours?
For retail workers standing and moving around for hours is part of the daily schedule. There is no escaping this, and it translates to the need for the right type of shoes. The real advantage of taking time to go for the best shoes for retail workers is you never have to worry about discomforts and unwanted pressure on your feet.
Luckily, there are lots of brands that have taken their productions a notch higher and embraced technology to create quality and comfortable shoes. This buying guide narrows down the list for you, giving you a super mix of the features that you deserve in your work shoes. The best part is that these shoes have been tried, tested, and approved by thousands of retail workers who have found great value in them.