The postal mail service is one of the most important jobs in delivering messages or packages from point to another. Indeed, you will hear the postal mail carriers recite their creed that goes, “neither snow nor rain nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds”.
Dressed for duty, one of the most important pieces of attire is a mail carrier’s footwear. Even Benjamin Franklin himself, who by the way is one of the most renowned mail carriers, knew the importance of having the best shoe for service. These shoes have to be postal-approved and black in line with the dress code.
The right shoes are not only important in ensuring that you are comfortable being on your feet all day, but also able to be light-footed and comfortable while at it. To help make your work easy, we have compiled for you the top 8 best shoes for mail carriers for your perusal.
New Balance WW577 Athletic Walking Shoe
These fantastic shoes are voted, almost unanimously, as one of the best shoes for mail carriers. The design is one for comfort and balance. The athletic WW577s will indeed bolster your performance and power you through all your appointed rounds.
The upper part of the shoes is made up of 100% breathable leather, which is strong and durable against abrasions. The leather is also dust resistant to help you maintain that professional look. The durability of the leather makes the whole shoe endure most climatic conditions.
On the inside, both the collars and the entire lining have been padded with the new ABZORB cushioning technology. There is also a polyurethane lightweight midsole. This cushioning and lightweight midsole gives you maximum comfort through supporting your ankles while protecting your feet at the same time. The cushioning is also able to absorb shocks from any kind of strides, sprints, or walks. You can be sure that you can last a whole day or those extra-long shifts in these shoes.
As if that is not enough, traction on all kinds of terrains is enhanced by their rubber soles. These rubber soles are made up of flex groove outsoles which offer you much-appreciated flexibility of movement in any direction. The use of rubber on the soles, the leather, and the cushioning system makes them very light. We certainly guarantee you to feel most comfortable, quick, and agile in these ones.
- It has a padded collar for a comfortable fit.
- It is well suited for all kinds of weather or climatic conditions.
- The cushioning inside adds an extra layer of protection for your feet and snug fit.
- The leather is both dust resistant and makes the shoe breathable and durable, saving you money.
- The rubber outsoles have a firm grip on slippery and rough surfaces apart from enhancing your flexibility while in use.
- Being one of the best, they are very expensive.
- They do not offer quite the best arch support.
If you do not mind the price and prefer comfort instead, then these are the shoes for you. Their lightweight snug and comfortable fit will have you discharging your duties all day without any fatigue or foot strain. The ABZORB cushioning technology also helps in absorbing shock impacts from surfaces thus keeping your feet healthy.
Rocky TMC Postal-Approved Plain Toe Oxford Shoe
Another one off the shelf with the top best shoes for postal carriers is the Plain Toe Oxfords. They mean business while being postal approved. They are elegant and sleek, offering you a keen professional look at 1.5” heels, 1.0” platforms, and 4” height.
What makes them special is their full-grain and water-resistant leather. This allows you to discharge your duties even in the most adverse climatic conditions. The leather also keeps any splashing water from getting your feet wet in damp environments. They also have a non-metallic stabilizer which gives your feet maximum support and protection.
They have a comfortable inner lining with a comfortable toe room so as to enhance comfort while in use. The outsole consists of a slip- and oil-resistant TMC direct-attach TPU/PU foam gives good flexibility, stability, and grip no matter the sizes of your strides. The footbed in it has a Rocky Air-Port system for exclusive foot cushioning, shock absorption, and a snug fit.
- The Rocky Air-Port footbed cushions the feet and makes it very comfortable to wear for long without foot strains.
- The lining on the inside of the shoe keeps moisture away for dry feet.
- The full-grain and water-resistant leather makes it durable and practical in wet environments.
- It also spots an Aegis Microbe Shield to keep dirt and dust away.
- It is easy to polish or wipe clean for an enhanced look.
- The polyurethane covering material on them makes it feel lightweight and flexible for movement in any direction.
- They have a snug, comfortable fit which can be bolstered with just the right thickness of socks.
- Like the Balance WW577s they are very expensive.
- They may feel chunky to some people.
- They feel short compared to someone used to boots.
If you are going for a professional look coupled with enhanced comfort, then this is the way to go. The waterproof feature and durability also give you the best user experience at any time of the day, anywhere you need to be during a shift.
Thorogood Men’s SoftStreets Series 6” Waterproof Insulated Sport Boot
Another classic way to rock the postal carrier job is through the cool Thorogood Streets Series 6”. The design on them is flawless with sophisticated stitching around the covering material. Having been around since 1892, you can trust them to keep your feet warm and dry even as you carry out your work.
The leather on the upper part of the boots is waterproof to keep water from getting to your feet. They also stand counted as one of the most durable shoes with their direct injection construction which also confers a good grip on all terrains. Lining the inner part is a comfort weave cushioning material for extra comfort and flexibility during use. The lining also keeps your feet warm insulating you from the cold outside.
The insole in them for cushioning purposes is made up of polyurethane material which is also lightweight. The midsoles and the outsoles are made up of the same material, with the outsole’s polyurethane being dual-density for better traction. To make them more waterproof, the seams are sealed ultra-tight. This makes them more durable too.
- They are waterproof to keep all the dampness out.
- The lining insulates your feet keeping them warm.
- They are soft and comfortable to wear.
- They take very little time getting used to and can be worn with other clothes off-duty.
- The construction on the outsoles is not the best.
For good-looking postal-service approved duty shoes, these kicks are the ones for you. They are excellent for you if your assigned routes tend to be wet often.
Reebok Work Men’s Postal Express CP8500 Work Boot
Being prominent in the fitness footwear and the sports industry, the Reebok brand makes its way into the postal service duty too. The postal-approved Reebok boot is stylish and packs quite a punch when it comes to comfort and flexibility.
The covering material consists of the waterproof GORE-TEX® membrane. This material is specially made to provide the best protection feet can have from environmental impacts. The inside is lined with the famed IMil-33 moisture-wicking technology to keep your feet dry and well insulated from cold.
The shock-absorbing PI-1000 removable-for-convenience inserts and heel cushion are soft and hug the feet comfortably culminating in a snug fit. This gives the best arch support system and will let you feel comfortable even if you are mostly standing or walking all day. There is also a Maximum-Lite polyurethane technology designed to make boots lightweight and durable in the long run.
- These shoes are designed specifically for postal workers.
- The lining inside makes the shoes very comfortable to wear over long periods of time.
- They have no metallic pieces to keep your feet flexible and strain-free.
- They are resistant to oil, slips, abrasions, and other chemicals.
- The laces can feel a bit too rigid for some people.
- The outsoles are not well attached and can come off after a certain time.
The Express CP8500 are basketball shoes customized for a mail carrier. You will not feel like you are dragging a weight around with its general lightweight construction material. Designed to give you comfort, agility, and flexibility, these shoes mean business.
Rocky TMC Postal-Approved Duty Boots
Another set of boots that mean business are the Rocky TMCs. The feeling you get from looking at these shoes is that they could be combat boots. However, they are designed and fully customized for mail carriers worth their salt.
They have been made for a good arch support system to keep your feet healthy and painless at the joints. The cushioning inside encases your feet in a comfortable cocoon protecting your feet from swelling as you walk or stand for a long time. The comfort extends further from the pillow-like tongue and midsole which also hugs your feet snugly.
The footrest on the Aegis Microbe Shield and Rocky Air-Port-made footbed which prevents any bacterial build-up. There is also a non-metallic stabilizer which provides ready support and balance for a steady stride. The outsoles are fashioned to provide the best grip system on all slippery and rough terrains.
Assigned to a wet or damp region? The Rocky TMCs have you covered with their 5” water-resistant polyurethane full-grain leather. Have no worry wading through that mushy or wet front lawn to deliver a package.
- The boots utilize TMC direct-attach TPU/PU outsoles which offer maximum stability and flexibility.
- The non-metallic stabilizers aside from increasing your stability let you pass through metal detectors with no issues.
- The oil-and slip-resistant outsoles guarantee you non-slippage accidents.
- There is no bacterial build-up due to the Aegis Microbe Shield.
- They are exceptionally affordable.
- They are USA/SR approved.
- Guaranteed comfort from the Rocky Air-Port cushioning system.
- The range of sizes is on the smaller side.
- They have a low-quality outsole.
- The insoles are non-removable which can cause inconvenience for some people.
These boots do add diversity to shoes recommended for mail carriers. Should they work best for you, they are valuable to have as part of your duty footwear. You are however better off having more pairs of the same or other boot types close by.
Bates Lites Leather Lace-Up Chukka Boots
Although there is little to say about these shoes, sometimes simplicity is the best way to go. They consist of a Goodyear Welt Construction design and a solid and durable finish. The material is easy to clean and polish into a shiny look. The inside of the boot is padded to reduce friction between your feet and the shoes, preventing chafing.
The inserts found on these shoes are cushioned to enhance comfort and are also removable for convenience. Dri-Lex The lining is also breathable to keep your feet feeling dry and fresh. The outsoles on them are lightweight and non-marking. These outsoles are made up of rubber for a firm grip and flexibility.
- They are flexible to walk in with an agile built.
- They are comfortable to wear and very lightweight.
- They are easy to polish or wipe during cleaning.
- With a lazy stitching, the laces are also flimsy and a bit brittle.
These are shoes a mail carrier would not mind having alongside other shoe types. Granted they are not heavy-duty, they are suitable and would do well in paved surfaces. They are also known to be affordable.
Also Read: Best Shoes for Factory Work
Reebok Postal TCT Shoe
Another model from the Reebok brand, the Postal TCT takes its place as one of the top 8 best shoes for mail carriers. They are classy with a sophisticated look designed to bring the best out of a mail carrier.
One of their unique features includes a seam-sealed system which makes them one of the waterproof shoe choices. This is designed to keep your feet dry when trudging along in any wet environment. The seamless covering also keeps your feet free from irritation during use.
They are made up of durable leather that forms the boot uppers. They also have comfortable padding which hugs the feet keeping them in place. This means guaranteed durability of the shoes and enhanced comfort even after use over a long period of time.
The outsoles comprise of the dual-density polyurethane which gives you stability and a good traction system during use on various terrains. The PI-1000 cushion insert is removable to enhance the convenience and an extra package of comfort. The heel cushion has shock-absorption properties apart from keeping the feet firmly in the shoes.
Being non-metallic, they are suitable for wear to places with plenty of metal detectors. The moisture-wicking lining removes any sweat from the feet keeping them dry and fresh. Lastly, the Total Cushioning Technology and the Toe-Stitching properties used in their construction help to keep you flexible apart from assisting in shock absorbance from the environment.
- They are non-metallic making them an excellent choice when going to places with full metal detectors.
- The moisture-wicking cushioned lining helps to keep your feet dry and feeling cool.
- The shoe is packed with shock-absorbing features designed to help you carry your duties undistracted.
- The rubber outsoles are both oil- and slip-resistant.
- The removable insoles allow you to conveniently customize your shoes snugly and comfortably for an orthotic fit.
- Compared to the Express CP8500 model, the seams on this one tend to come out comparatively fast.
- They are slim for wide-footed individuals.
Suited for outside use, the Reebok TCT are suited for the needs of a mail carrier. They are also USPS-certified with added safety features to protect your feet from harm. They do a very good job of keeping your feet comfortable even during long hours of use.
TINGLEY 7500G Orion Overshoes with Gaiter
Last but least, the TINGLEY 7500G Orion closes our top 8 best shoes for mail carriers list. They are tough against the elements designed with the thought of a mail carrier in an icy or snowy environment. These shoes mean business when it comes to outlasting the cold.
To start us off, they have been built to be heavy-duty. The upper surface consists of an 840 denier nylon material which can be adjusted to hug the leg tightly. This nylon is both durable for longer use and waterproof to keep out water. This makes it easy to trudge through the snow.
The lightweight polyurethane midsoles and TPR outsoles both keep out the ice or snow and are easy to lift making a walk in them and effortless. Apart from being roomy, even for the widest of feet, the inside is also lined with a polypropylene foam providing the much-appreciated insulation from cold and cushioning for comfort.
The gusset on the boots makes it easy to don and doff, with an adjustable hook and loop for a perfect fit. They also spot adjustable instep straps and visibility-enhancing accents in low-light environments. The shoes are also made to have deep lugs for the ultimate traction system and heel counter stabilizers to prevent rolling.
- The boots are lightweight making it easy to use even when it’s snowing heavily.
- The studs on them are made up of non-corrosive and non-rusting material for more durability.
- An easy to use buckle for adjustments.
- They are well insulated and waterproof to keep your feet warm and dry.
- They are very stable with superior traction on the icy or snowy ground.
- They are not suitable for wear indoors as the studs will scratch the floor.
- They are mono-locational shoes.
Having been assigned around in a cold icy or snowy location should not deter you from your work. You can deliver your best with these shoes as part of your arsenal. They are handy even when it’s snowing heavily.
Top 8 Best Shoes for Mail Carriers: Buying Guide
Comfort and Safety
Being a mail carrier certainly means dealing with a lot; from dogs to unpleasant customers and even drop-dead exhaustion at the end of the day. Your footwear, therefore, becomes very important in helping you focus your energy on delivering the best service.
Shoes which are comfortable help to keep your feet from feeling fatigue and pressure from being up all day. In the end, you not only keep your feet healthy but also avoid expensive medical bills.
USPS-approved postal shoes offer the best protection from occupational hazards. They are bound to be waterproof, dust resistant for a professional look, have shock-absorption features and well-cushioned. They have been tried and tested and found to increase service performance. They are also guaranteed to offer protection and safety during use from environmental conditions that can potentially harm you.
You want to invest in shoes that are durable in the long run. This saves you a lot of money and time looking for shoes. Having an extra pair of shoes might also help in extending their durability if they are used interchangeably. Going for high-grade quality shoes overlooking expenses could be the wisest thing you can do to keep you grounded.
Weight and Grip
To deliver the best you can as a mail carrier, you want shoes that make you agile, flexible, and feeling sure-footed. You therefore want to go for shoes that are lightweight in nature such that you are nimble on your feet and have the best traction. In the end, the best features increase your confidence at work.
Finding the best shoes for a mail carrier should not have to be a daunting task, at least not after going through our top 8 best shoes for mail carriers. For a job that you are bound to be on your feet most of the time, investing in the best postal-service-recommended footwear should be a priority. Not only does it keep you protected and healthy, it also spares you time and money having to constantly replace work shoes. Get your pick of quality postal footwear and your job will become that much more fun.